Essential Oils Tips
Essential indicates that the oil carries distinctive scent of the plant. Essential oils are highly concentrated liquids that can be harmful if not used carefully. Essential oils are generally extracted by distillation. Other processes include expression, or solvent extraction. Essential oils should never be used undiluted on the skin. There are instances when experienced aromatherapy users and practitioners make exceptions to this precaution. Lavender and tea tree are listed by a large number of aromatherapy sources as being oils that can be used undiluted. Essential oils are usually lipophilic (literally: 'oil-loving') compounds that usually are not miscible with water. Instead, they can be diluted in solvents like pure 100ethanol ,polyethylene glycol, or oils.
Today, most common essential oils, such as lavender, peppermint, and eucalyptus, are distilled. Raw plant material, consisting of the flowers, leaves, wood, bark, roots, seeds, or peel, is put into an alembic over water.When using essential oils, use the smallest amount of essential oils that will get the job done. Essential oils should only be taken internally after receiving a detailed consultation and prescription from a trained and qualified aromatherapy practitioner. The smoke from burning essential oils may contain potential carcinogens, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Essential oils are naturally high in volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Some essential oils should be avoided during pregnancy or by those with asthma, epilepsy, or with other health conditions.
Essential Oils Tips
1. Essential oil can be put on radiators, scent rings, or light bulbs (avoid the socket).
2. Don\'t use undiluted oils on your skin.
3. Skin test oils before using. Dilute a small amount and apply to the skin on your inner arm.
4. Keep oils away from eyes and mucous membranes.
5. Add 7-10 drops of essential oil to bath water directly or blend with 1 teaspoon of vegetable.
6. Massage helps the skin to absorb essential oils.
7. Use lavender essential oil in a spritzer bottle to spray on sheets and blankets at bedtime for a deeper relaxing sleep.
8. Wax candles can be bought ready-impregnated with essential oils and are a delightful way of scenting a room. Or
9. Essential oils are extracts from different parts of the plants such as herbs, flowers, leaves, resin, bark, fruit rinds and roots.
10. Add 2-5 drops of an essential oil to one teaspoon of unscented lotion.
11. Add 3 drops of appropriate essential oil to 1 t. of water, mix and gargle.
12. Add 10 drops to your bath water. Agitate water in a figure 8 motion. Soak in it for 15 minutes minimum.
13. Use a sitz bath with just enough water to cover lower body and add 5 drops of essential oil.
14. Avoid applying Essential Oils immediately after perspiring or using a sauna.
15. Avoid strong sunlight or tanning beds after applying essential oils.
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/wellness-articles/essential-oils-tips-251140.htmlAbout the Author
Juliet Cohen writes articles for skin care tips and skin care treatment. For more information visit our skin care section.