Benefits of Using Essential Oils
The use of essential oils in aromatherapy has become a popular choice for many people seeking to relax and improve their health. Essential oils are used to aid in the healing of physical and psychological conditions. The essential oil is extracted from various parts of a plant and the aroma is used as treatment for a particular ailment. It is the only therapy that utilizes the sense of smell. Pure essential oils are all-natural and do not contain any manmade chemicals.
When used in aromatherapy, essentials are inhaled and enter the body through the nasal passages. Signals are directed to the brain and affect the emotions by affecting the limbic system, which also controls the major functions of the body. In massage, essential oils are mixed with an emulsifier and then massaged in the skin. Each essential oil has an individual chemical structure which determines its healing properties, fragrance, and color.
Essential oils can influence the body\'s physiological systems. The following lists a number of benefits of using essential oils:
1) Certain oils can help alleviate pain. Peppermint has been proven to be a powerful pain killer.
2) Essential oils can have effects on emotions and mental states by promoting relaxation, relieving tension, and clearing the mind. Many scents promote calmness and tranquility while others lift the spirit. For instance, rosemary and peppermint are uplifting. Jasmine and ylang-ylang stimulate excitement, and lavender is sedating
3) Some oils such as citronella are used as a natural insect repellent.
4) Certain essential oils are known for their anti-fungal properties. Tea Tree Oil is shown to be excellent at killing bacteria, fungi, and some viruses.
5) Some oils are a power anti-inflammatory. Eucalyptus and Chamomile are two examples of oils with anti-inflammatory properties.
6) Essential oils can stimulate digestion. For instance, a few drops of peppermint consumed orally help the digestion process.
7) Because certain oils promote relaxation, they can help promote the lowering of blood pressure. Essential oils work much like tranquilizers but in a natural way.
8) Certain oils can alleviate respiratory systems. For example, inhaling mucolytic oils can relieve respiratory symptoms. As well, there are specific essential that can stimulate vaso-dilation. Some essential oils such as peppermint and lemon are added to humidifiers or vaporizers.
9) Some oils can help alleviate certain skin conditions. Calendula has helped many people with eczema and psoriasis.
10) Essential oils can treat minor skin and muscle conditions. Lavender is known to speed skin cell regeneration. Lemon, Eucalyptus, Rosemary, and Marjoram are often used to relax muscle tissue before engaging in exercise or a sporting event.
11) Diffusing essential oils into the air releases oxygenating molecules as well as negative ions which reduces bacteria and toxins in the air.
12) Certain oils can promote healthy skin. For instance, Juniper berry used in hand cream smoothes and softens dry and cracked skin.
13) Essential oils can improve brain function. Awareness of odors can have a significant affect on learning, thinking, and memory.
Different cultures have been using aromatherapy oils for hundreds of years. Using essential oils for a wide variety of conditions will result in a much stronger and healthier individual. Learning what oil and fragrance best suits your needs will help achieve optimum health results. Quality essential oils can be of great benefit to you, your family, and even your pets.
Article Source: http://amynutt1.articlesbase.com/health-articles/benefits-of-using-essential-oils-1107226.htmlAbout the Author
Get proven results with Weleda
organic products for face, body lotion
, dental care and baby! Featuring, pure, high quality organic essential oils and essential oil products for aromatherapy, natural skin care.